Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Childless In Chelan, Night 2

I usually love being alone. It's my favorite thing ever. Sometimes I fantasize about dropping the kids off at school/childcare and taking a vacation day to stay home and do WHATEVER I WANT.

But here I am at a nice lake resort with private sandy beaches and pools and hot tubs right on the waterfront and all I can think is that I wish I had someone to enjoy it all with. Am I crazy? Have I gone nuts? Or have my kids finally pulled this loner out of her shell?

I love to explore and be adventurous on trips. I seem to be in the minority around here. And for some weird reason, I feel lonely. It's an odd and unfamiliar feeling. Because usually I am my favorite company.

After my conferences, I enjoyed my first ever massage. Yes, I am a 31 year old woman who, before today, had never had a massage in her life. It was pretty amazing. But I don't know if it was $90 amazing, which is what I paid. The jury's out on whether I will do it again.

After my massage, I went for a run. Yes, I know that is probably backwards. But, hey, I'm kidfree. I'll do what I want to do when I want to do it. The run was gorgeous. Five miles over desert and lake.

There was even a biplane spotting.

I tried to see if anyone was interested in meeting up for dinner, but I couldn't find anyone. So I stopped at the hotel bitro, grabbed a pub burger to go, and ate on the beautiful patio of my room.

Still a little bored, I walked the lake beach and rented a kayak. An hour kayak rental sounded perfect. But 20 minutes in, my arms burned from the strong current and I was ready to head in. But not before snapping a couple photos to document my adventurism.


When I returned the kayak just 1/3 of the way into my rental time, the rental guy just shook his head and laughed at me. I waddled my soaking wet backside to the room, sprawled out onto my king size bed and....

.....

.....


Did two hours of work. What? I have lots of deadlines coming up. I was feeling responsible. For the records, I worked while eating chocolate, sipping wine, and watching a Dateline murder special (I'm never going to sleep tonight). So it's only like 50% work. Once night fell, I began to enjoy my solitude a LOT more.

I decided to do something TOTALLY crazy and rent a movie online. Although I was tempted to finish Season 6 of the Good Wife (best show ever), I settled on Magic Mike. Went in with low expectations and surprisingly enjoyed it. A lot. And not ONLY because of Channing Tatum. But he helped. I might actually see Magic Mike 2. This is what happens when you let a mom loose for a few days. The wildness just cannot be contained.

Hours later, I'm still sprawled on my King Size bed, enjoying and laying across every single amazing millimeter of springy-freedom. I almost forgot what it's like to have to haul three screaming, over-tired kids to bed. Shhh, don't tell them this but....I'm actually kinda starting to miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment