Monday, March 10, 2014

Up For Air

I'm briefly coming up for air before I have to dive back into the dark depths of what has become my very busy life lately.

At work, the case I have been pulled in to assist with has pretty much taken over. I'm rushing frantically to try to finish a partial summary judgment motion on this case before our family flies out to Tennessee on Tuesday. For some reason, no matter how much time I invest in legal research and investigating into the facts, the work never seems to end. I can't believe how much time I've spent on this one motion. I keep thinking that if I worked at a private law firm, I'd likely have to write off much of my time.

This is what I love about not being in private practice: I can invest as much time as I feel I need into a case without being bound by billable hours and worries about billing audits and capturing or constantly justifying all my time. It's so freeing. I spend more time on the case and less on what my billable hours or time entries will look like!

When I haven't been writing motions, I've been frantically laundering, packing, organizing, and planning for our week long trip. I'm so incredibly excited to spend a full uninterrupted week with my family, in a new city, staying in hotels, and not having to cook! Gah! It's too amazing. Most particularly the hotel part. I love hotels. I would be fully content to spend an entire vacation inside the walls of a hotel. It just feels so....pampery.....the smell of freshly cleaned sheets, the coolness of the sheets every time you change positions, everyone falling asleep in the same room, the promise of adventure around every corner, fun new travel-size shampoos to inhale. I'm so easy to please. It's almost pathetic.

Every spare second that I get (which is not much), I've spent watching Downton Abbey. One night I was brooding over the fact that the new Justified hadn't been released on Google Play. I randomly settled on the first episode of Downton Abbey and I was totally hooked. If I had countless uninterrupted consecutive hours of free time, I could easily watch the entire series in one sitting. I believe that is what they call binging?

This morning, I vaguely remember Ryan sneaking into our room around 6:00 a.m., I was woken by the deafening creak of our door. I fell back asleep and was surprised to wake again at 7:00 a.m. to find Ryan sleeping on the floor next to my side of the bed. He reached out for me and said, "hand," then he grabbed my hand in his and fell back asleep on the floor. It was so adorable that I was tempted to continue holding his hand until mine felt like it was going to fall right off my body from having to reach so far.

Today was my husband's birthday and we had a nice, quiet day before driving to my in-laws for dinner. My niece and nephew were there and the kids spent most of the time outside riding a bright yellow tonka truck down my in-laws steep, grassy hill. At one point, my nephew was in the tonka truck, Jacob was behind him pushing, my niece was behind Jacob pushing him and Ryan was standing a few feet away looking very skeptical about the entire thing. The grownups watched from the warmth and comfort of the indoor sofas and voila! Instant entertainment for the evening.

I tried to snap some photos of the boys in their handsome shirts before we left...but as you can see....I was the only one who thought this was a good idea.

All my handsome (but not entirely enthusiastic) men:


Jacob waiting patiently to leave so he can play with his best friend and cousin. 


My handsome guys. Ryan is determined not to let a single smile slip.


And now, I really have to go to bed considering that it is past midnight and tomorrow night we have to wake up at 3:00 a.m. This whole 6:00 a.m. flight thing is starting to sound like a horrible, terrible idea (no matter how much money I saved)!

No comments:

Post a Comment