Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Chronic Internal Dialogue Of A Pregnant Woman

This is pretty much the conversation I have with myself 15 times each day:

"Oh man, I want [another slice of pizza] [some ice cream] [chips] [a donut]."

"But I don't NEED one."

"Have I had my extra 200 pregnancy calories yet for the day?"

"Ugh, I don't want to gain too much weight."

"What the hell. I'm going to gain weight no matter what I do. Might as well enjoy it."

"But I don't want to sabotage my future post-baby self."

"Eh, I've only gained 5 pounds so far, that's pretty good right? I have some wiggle room."

"But the second half is where all the weight comes on."

"But who really cares if I gain more this time around. There's no badge for staying within the recommended weight range. No certificate. No trophies. It's not a competition."

"But I'LL know."

"But why do I care?"

"I really want  [another slice of pizza] [some ice cream] [chips] [a donut], dang it!"

"I work hard. I deserve it."

"I'm pregnant for heaven's sake!"

"I'M EATING IT."

The end result is always the same. It just takes a whole lot of internal dialogue to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment