Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Post De San Diego!

So...San Diego happened! Last week my husband went to San Diego for a work conference. I got to leave all three kids with Grandma (Saint Grandma) and fly down to join him for two nights after his conference ended.

There is only one way to describe a trip (however short it may be) involving hot weather, sandy beaches, uninterrupted nights of sleep, a margarita, and no children. That way would be this: pure and utter heaven. This was only the second trip I have ever taken with just my husband in the seven years we have been married (never had a honey moon). What the heck have we been holding out for? The two nights and three days we spent in San Diego were almost magical. Not only because of the warm weather and the sandy beaches....but because sometimes I forget just how amazing my husband is.

He's smart, and funny, and handsome, and insanely responsible. People don't often think of responsible as one of the "sexy" qualities that they look for in their Prince Charming. Let me tell you...it's probable THE sexiest quality. My husband has his retirement all planned out. He knows how to build a wall. He regularly caulks the bathroom tiles. He can pick the ripest cantelope in the produce aisle. He double checks that every door and window is locked up before we leave the house. Plus, I really like being able to just show up on vacation and rely on him to have planned out all the logistical stuff like: how to take public transportation, where the nearest grocery store is, and creating a painstakingly researched mental list of all the must see tourist destinations. I seriously love this guy.


Oh, and he's also kind of fun to hang out with.

On day two, we rented a car and drove up to La Jolla beach. Make sure you learn how to pronounce it the right way so you don't end up sounding like an idiot like me. I was amazed at how little traffic there was. I guess I was expecting it to be like Los Angeles (California + sun + destination).

We stopped at Mission beach and Pacific Beach on the ride back to the hotel. Gorgeous! All of our beach walking and downtown walking that second day added up to 9 miles! We had to scarf down a lot of tacos to keep up our energy.



On our last day, our flight didn't leave until 8 p.m. so we took advantage of our few remaining hours to do more exploring. We rented some of the public street bikes and rode to Balboa park, which was about a mile from our hotel. Balboa park is amazing. It's full of fun street vendors, museums, and stuff for tourists to do. 


Dr. Seuss tree


Museum of Man


Biking San Diego was seriously one of my favorite parts of the trip. I need to bike more. Biking is awesome. Even when you are doing it in boat shoes.


Downtown San Diego was kind of unimpressive during the day time (night life is fun). It pretty much just reeks of homeless people urine. But the San Diego waterfront was magnificent.


I make my husband take weird pictures of me. I don't know why he puts up with me.


Is it bad that I didn't miss my kids once? I mean, I kept thinking of them and how much they would enjoy our trip but...I wasn't exactly in a rush to return home. 

When we did arrive home, we were greeted by three handsome, wild boys who seemed to grow a crazy amount in the short time that we were gone.

This little boy is six months old and is almost ready to crawl! He also has two brand new teeth.


Must. Reach. Ball.


He is also the next pushup champion of the Pacific Northwest


My handsome little big guy!


All my babies! Stop growing! STOP.


Ryan loves Jon Jon. The love is not always reciprocated. "Look mom, he's standing!"


Apparently, Jon didn't get the memo that he is Jake and Ryan's pet.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post, love you got the opportunity to take this trip, love-love that you took the trip and had so much fun. I truly love the photos. But, my favorite part was your love-letter-style paragraph about your husband. I think I enjoyed it so much because it was genuine and spontaneous (i.e., not part of a holiday or anniversary or birthday post or anything) and it gave such wonderfully unique and individual details.

    Oh, and impressive push-up baby!

    Kindra @ Together
    another one of the
    Mothers in the Legal Profession

    ReplyDelete